In his 16th year in the NBA and first season with the Los Angeles Lakers, LeBron James has Michael Jordan's career points haul in his sights.
James has already established himself as one of the all-time greats and could surpass the six-time NBA champion in scoring this year, though Dirk Nowitzki is first up on his list of potential targets.
Stephen Curry can move past a number of names with his prowess from beyond the arc, while a major milestone is also in the offing for Chris Paul.
With the help of Opta, we take a look at the landmarks approaching for some of the league's biggest names.
- James is just 382 points away from passing Wilt Chamberlain (31,419) in fifth on the NBA's all-time points leaderboard.
- James enters the campaign averaging 2,069.2 points per season. If he reaches that total again, he will surpass Michael Jordan (32,292) for fourth on the chart.
- Nowitzki is also chasing down Chamberlain's points total. The veteran German will move beyond him if he scores 233 points this season.
- Curry is averaging 236.6 made three-pointers per season in his career. If he hits that total in 2018-19, he could jump to as high as third in the league's all-time three-pointers made list.
- To go third Curry (2,129) would need to surpass Jason Terry (2,282) and Kyle Korver (2,213), who could join Ray Allen (2,973) and Reggie Miller (2,560) as the only players with more than 2,300 three-pointers made.
The @Lakers defeat the @warriors 123-113 in Las Vegas!— NBA (@NBA) October 11, 2018
LeBron: 15 PTS, 10 REB, 5 AST
Ingram: 26 PTS, 5 REB
Kuzma: 22 PTS
Steph: 23 PTS, 5 AST
Klay Thompson: 20 PTS, 4 3PM
Durant: 18 PTS, 12 REB#NBAPreseason pic.twitter.com/OVJAA92P2g
- Paul needs 292 assists to become the eighth player in history with 9,000. He enters the season averaging 669.8 assists per year and if he reaches that total he would move up to seventh from ninth on the all-time leaderboard.
- James has averaged 547.2 assists per season in his career and needs 317 to pass Andre Miller for the 10th most in NBA history.
- This will be Nowitzki's 21st year with the Dallas Mavericks, breaking a tie with Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) for the most seasons with a single team.
|When it´s loud, we love it - Goff ready for New Orleans noise|
|Wolves 4 Leicester City 3: Jota hat-trick drama piles pressure on Puel|
|´Asparagus´ Zverev joins frustrated Djokovic in round four|
|Lowry takes Abu Dhabi title at the last after ding-dong Sterne battle|
|Rooney: United should go "all out" for Pochettino|
|Djokovic frustrated by ´unnecessary´ Australian Open floodlights|
|Jordan v Vietnam: Park expecting ´aggressive´ encounter|
|Serena and Halep book blockbuster, Osaka won´t throw in the towel|
|Brady: Mahomes has had ´spectacular season´|
|Halep not intimidated by Serena anymore|
|Farrell´s Six Nations preparations hit by thumb injury|
|Pogba confident Manchester United can reach top four|
|Alexander-Arnold embodies Liverpool spirit - Klopp|
|Stoinis shoots Stars to Melbourne derby victory|
|A-League Review: Glory held in stalemate as Sydney close the gap|
|DeMarcus Cousins ´felt like a kid on Christmas´ in Warriors debut|
|Alexander-Arnold signs long-term contract at Liverpool|
|Pochettino eyes Messi-esque role for Alli|
|Halep sets up mouth-watering Serena showdown by conquering Venus|
|Wilder-Fury II expected for April 27 or May - Warren|
|Celtics´ Kyrie Irving on technical: If someone questions your manhood, you got no choice|
|Serena would ´love´ Halep clash|
|Djokovic sees off Shapovalov at Aus Open|
|DeMarcus Cousins scores 14 points in Warriors debut|
|´Don´t cry, you did really well´ - Serena consoles Yastremska|
|Andrade eyes Golovkin after defending middleweight title|
|WATCH: Cousins throws down thunderous dunk to open Warriors career|
|Serena sails into Australian Open last 16|
|Icardi will renew Inter contract - Nara|
|Mickelson maintains Desert Classic lead|
|Klopp dismisses Coutinho rumours|
|Osaka completes stunning comeback in Melbourne|
|Lakers guard Rondo cleared for full-contact practices|
|Solskjaer: Lukaku is big part of Man United squad|
|Napoli slam FIGC decision to reject Koulibaly appeal|
|We´re the hunters! - Kovac´s Bayern ready to chase down Dortmund|
|Chiefs safety Reid expected to play against Patriots|
|Chelsea not ready to rest Jorginho - Sarri|
|NFL receiver Fitzgerald has hole-in-one in round of golf with former president Obama|
|I´m really loving playing this game - Eagles QB Foles not ready to retire|
|Saints show no mercy, score 111 in rout of Timisoara Saracens|
|CAF Champions League Review: Khenissi double gets ES Tunis up and running|
|Edinburgh clinch home quarter-final, Glasgow also advance to last eight|
|Hazlewood to miss Sri Lanka Tests with back injury|
|Norwich City 3 Birmingham City 1: Canaries end winless run to go second|
|Hoffenheim 1 Bayern Munich 3: Goretzka goals close gap on Bundesliga´s return|
|Cowboys part ways with offensive coordinator Linehan|
|Payton´s message to Saints fans: Hurry up and make noise|
|Transfer talk no distraction for Inter, says Spalletti|
|Memories of 2015 still linger for Vunipola as England begin World Cup year|
|De Bruin´s 85th-minute try consigns Kings to eighth straight loss|
|Bielsa´s Derby County dossier detail ´pretty standard´ – OptaPro chief|
|Injury-hit Madrid lose Navas to adductor issue|
|Patriots coach Belichick still gets nervous ´every week´|
|Copa del Rey draw: Barcelona to meet Sevilla in quarter-finals|
|Kohli: No one more committed to India than Dhoni|
|Brook questions Khan credibility following Crawford agreement|
|Sad Pochettino admits Bielsa is ´wrong´|
|Simeone eyes LaLiga gain after Atletico´s Copa del Rey pain|
|Rossi a no-go for Tottenham as Pochettino rules out panic buys|
|Guardiola identifies ´three or four´ midfield targets|
|Nadal encourages patience in young stars after humbling De Minaur|
|NFL playoffs 2019: 10 Opta facts for Patriots v Chiefs|
|Robertson helping Klopp learn Scottish for Dalglish chats|
|Levante appeal over alleged ineligible Barcelona player rejected|
|NFL Playoffs 2019: 10 Opta facts for Rams v Saints|
|Lowry to take three-shot Abu Dhabi lead into final round|
|Training is not for anyone else - Klopp condemns Bielsa over ´spygate´ row|
|In other countries, everybody does it - Guardiola respect remains for spying Bielsa|
|Cilic battles back to join Nadal, Federer in fourth round|