In his 16th year in the NBA and first season with the Los Angeles Lakers, LeBron James has Michael Jordan's career points haul in his sights.
James has already established himself as one of the all-time greats and could surpass the six-time NBA champion in scoring this year, though Dirk Nowitzki is first up on his list of potential targets.
Stephen Curry can move past a number of names with his prowess from beyond the arc, while a major milestone is also in the offing for Chris Paul.
With the help of Opta, we take a look at the landmarks approaching for some of the league's biggest names.
- James is just 382 points away from passing Wilt Chamberlain (31,419) in fifth on the NBA's all-time points leaderboard.
- James enters the campaign averaging 2,069.2 points per season. If he reaches that total again, he will surpass Michael Jordan (32,292) for fourth on the chart.
- Nowitzki is also chasing down Chamberlain's points total. The veteran German will move beyond him if he scores 233 points this season.
- Curry is averaging 236.6 made three-pointers per season in his career. If he hits that total in 2018-19, he could jump to as high as third in the league's all-time three-pointers made list.
- To go third Curry (2,129) would need to surpass Jason Terry (2,282) and Kyle Korver (2,213), who could join Ray Allen (2,973) and Reggie Miller (2,560) as the only players with more than 2,300 three-pointers made.
The @Lakers defeat the @warriors 123-113 in Las Vegas!— NBA (@NBA) October 11, 2018
LeBron: 15 PTS, 10 REB, 5 AST
Ingram: 26 PTS, 5 REB
Kuzma: 22 PTS
Steph: 23 PTS, 5 AST
Klay Thompson: 20 PTS, 4 3PM
Durant: 18 PTS, 12 REB#NBAPreseason pic.twitter.com/OVJAA92P2g
- Paul needs 292 assists to become the eighth player in history with 9,000. He enters the season averaging 669.8 assists per year and if he reaches that total he would move up to seventh from ninth on the all-time leaderboard.
- James has averaged 547.2 assists per season in his career and needs 317 to pass Andre Miller for the 10th most in NBA history.
- This will be Nowitzki's 21st year with the Dallas Mavericks, breaking a tie with Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) for the most seasons with a single team.
|Celtics youngsters say Irving´s callout ´came from a good place´|
|NFL playoffs: Patrick Mahomes v Tom Brady|
|NFL playoffs: Jared Goff v Drew Brees|
|Sixers sign Brewer to 10-day contract|
|Lozano and Morgan scoop CONCACAF awards|
|Lakers ´optimistic´ about LeBron injury|
|Giants produce mammoth fourth quarter against Nymburk|
|Austin FC to join MLS in 2021|
|Henry, Vieira look forward to reunion when Monaco host Nice|
|Barcelona reject Neymar phone call reports|
|Wentz is the quarterback ´going forward´, says Eagles coach Pederson|
|Gattuso: Higuain has not asked to leave|
|Drew Brees by the Opta numbers: 10 facts for QB´s milestone birthday|
|Harry Kane injury: England captain´s history of ankle woe|
|Harry Kane injury: Opta numbers suggest Spurs struggles|
|Harry Kane injury: Tottenham´s options in striker´s absence|
|Allegri: Supercoppa clash practice for Champions League knockouts|
|First in clean sheets, second to Schmeichel in titles – Cech´s Premier League career in Opta numbers|
|Warrington sign England star Widdop|
|Gatland confident Wales can win Six Nations|
|Fulham sign Netherlands international Babel|
|Harry Kane injury: Games the Tottenham striker will miss|
|Simeone focused on matches, not transfer dealings|
|Iran v Iraq: Pressure off for Queiroz & Katanec|
|Vietnam v Yemen: Kocian keeps the faith|
|Darren Bravo back in West Indies Test side for first time since 2016|
|Kane out until March with ankle injury|
|South Korea v China: Son arrives for Group C dead rubber|
|Kyrgyzstan v Philippines: Eriksson remains hopeful|
|McGrath to miss Six Nations, Sexton nearing fitness|
|Kohli savours Dhoni ´classic´|
|Ford: People obsess over Farrell fly-half battle|
|EFL asks Leeds to explain ´spygate´ scandal|
|No alarms for Djokovic and Zverev, Raonic masters Kyrgios|
|Australia 3 Syria 2: Rogic breaks hearts with stoppage-time winner|
|Palestine 0 Jordan 0: Socceroos winner keeps hopes alive for Lions of Canaan|
|Halep: The results don´t matter any more|
|Hard work for Halep as Serena and Osaka sail through|
|Napoli director to take legal action over ´false´ quotes about Rog move|
|Alexander-Arnold facing absence of up to four weeks|
|Solari: We only have one number nine at Real Madrid|
|Halfpenny & Young named in Wales´ Six Nations squad|
|Crawford v Khan confirmed for April 20|
|Centurion Kohli inspires India to level ODI series|
|Wagner hails Huddersfield togetherness after exit|
|Hughes to join Bristol, Le Roux also leaving Wasps|
|ICC appoints Sawhney as new CEO|
|Forest appoint club legend O´Neill as new manager|
|Halep digs deep to gain revenge over Kanepi|
|Cech to retire at the end of the season|
|Brisbane Roar 0 Melbourne Victory 5: Barbarouses treble sinks Roar|
|´Struggling´ Azarenka breaks down in tears following Australian Open exit|
|Dominant Djokovic coasts through in Melbourne|
|Allardyce admits Huddersfield appointment is ´highly unlikley´|
|Choupo-Mouting: Manchester United have changed|
|Faletau set to miss Six Nations with another broken arm|
|UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings into Chelsea chants|
|Serena´s the greatest ever - Bouchard relishing second-round clash|
|Mbappe can become the new Pele - Pele|
|Wade needs to learn quickly if he´s to make NFL switch a success, says Sanu|
|Azarenka beaten in first Australian Open match since 2016|
|Kings use balanced scoring attack to top Trail Blazers|
|Hewitt laughs off Tomic criticism|
|We love Ederson the way he is - Guardiola on Man City´s sweeper keeper|
|Serena: The greatest win of my career|
|Salah will be motivated by criticism – Henderson|
|He was always going to be good – Surprise 2005 Challenger loss wasn´t stopping Murray|
|Harden sets NBA record for most consecutive 30-point games|
|Spurs honour Parker with video tribute during his return to San Antonio|
|Irving: I´ll never question Celtics team-mates publicly again|